Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My son wants to be a garbage man!

My 5 year old has been fascinated with garbage since he was about 2 years old. It started off with the garbage truck, which I think many children are interested in, but it's moved on to a whole different level.

He seems particularly fascinated with the idea that you can make something new and useful out of something that has become completely useless for us. He has actually been asking to go visit a recycling center for over a year now. I've been trying to set this up for him but with no success, I'm told they don't let children in these places.


His current favorite toy is a conveyor belt my husband made for him.
He puts Lego on it, sorts it and then "recycles" it.
This game has been going on for over a year now, in various levels of complexities.
Last summer, he discovered composting, boy did that open a whole new can of worms! : ) Since then I think he has asked me about every single thing in our house. Does this compost? Does this go in the reclycling? Why not? This week has been particularly intense with recycling and composting questions at our house. He actually managed to make me feel bad about our incomplete recycling efforts! So I've decided to step it up a bit. I went out and bought small recycling boxes for each bathroom as a place to put toilet paper rolls, used tissue paper and anything else that is compostable.

Here is a picture of my toilet. : )
Garbage on the left of the picture, recycling box on the right.

This is an easy way to "green-up" any house. Even yours!



2 comments:

  1. It's great your young son is so interested in recycling and garbage. He will be a great activist for it as he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always leave my recycling for the bathroom on the windowsill which is right by the door. That way I'll see it as I leave and remember to bring it down to the bins in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete